A veterinarian with many years of canine practice experience offers guidance to novice and professional dog breeders, emphasizing the responsibilities of reputable breeders to their dogs and to the buyers of the puppies they produce. Topics covered include:
- the choosing, health, quality, and conditioning of brood stock
- practical DNA use, and Canine Health Information Center (CHIC) surveys and data storage to scientifically improve the selection of healthy brood stock and puppies
- potential breeding problems
- artificial insemination
- pregnancy and its duration
- stages of labour
- normal and Cesarean-section births, and how to assist in both
- nutrition of dams and puppies
- how to recognize and prevent potential problems in both
- neonatal puppy care
- and much more.
- Filled with color photos and line art.
Author - Dan Rice, DVM, is an experienced veterinarian and the author of many books on dog breeding and training
Paperback 192 pages